Senior Software Engineer
Why, How, What?
Bricklane harnesses advanced technology - using a revolutionary data-driven approach - to unlock investments in residential property at a very large scale.
Financially, we're backed by the likes of Zoopla and LocalGlobe and we’ve assembled a smart, talented and collaborative team across technology, property and finance, who have got us to where we are today.
The next phase of our journey will involve scaling up our Product team, and we're looking for dynamic, smart and innovative thinkers to join us.
What you will be working on at Bricklane
Our proprietary investment platform - Compass - is a critical part of our business. We've developed this in-house since 2016, and it continues to grow in both sophistication and complexity.
As a member of the Product team, you'll focus on delivering features and using technology that makes the biggest impact to the business.
This could range from:
- Implementing machine learning models;
- Building sophisticated map-based user interfaces; or
- Using our unique internal datasets to process automated investment decisions thousands of times a day.
At Bricklane, we use the following technologies every day:
Python for building complicated financial calculations, data processing, and scalable web stacks.
React and Typescript for richer UIs.
- Database of choice is Postgres (with PostGIS for geocoded data support).
- Our infrastructure is deployed entirely on AWS.
- We use Docker from our development environments all the way to production.
- We automate any process we have to do more than once - shipping code as often as needed using Jenkins and Cloudformation.
- For processing larger datasets, we make full use of AWS data services (such as AWS Athena).
- We love well-tested, maintainable code and use typical tools to help to support this – Python unittest, jest, tslint, flake8, Cypress.io.
The whole company adopts an iterative approach - we work in short sprints, have daily stand-ups, conduct regular planning sessions and fortnightly retrospectives.
What we’re looking for at Bricklane
- An enthusiastic and ambitious engineer with significant experience working on web-based projects.
- Professional experience in a modern server-side language — ideally Python, but not essential - with software principles such as SOLID, DRY etc.
- Professional experience building web-based single page applications, using Typescript/React, or equivalent (such as Angular/ES6).
- Aptitude working independently and collaborating in a team, delivering new functionality from concept to production-ready.
- High level of comfort with cloud infrastructure, with the confidence to make changes and investigate when problems arise.
- Experience of working with datasets >100k entries and can query databases with SQL.
- Supporter of test-driven development.
- Passion for process improvement - whether it’s refactoring a function, optimisation or developing a new skill.
Benefits of working with Bricklane
- Flexibility: we've just moved into a brand new office in Old Street, but realise that flexibility is the future and we support remote working and office working.
- Holiday: 25 days annual leave + 1 extra day around Christmas (our present to you).
- Up-skilling: Further training and development is integral to what we do.
- Health: we offer Vitality healthcare to support your health and wellbeing, with discounts for gym membership, activewear, sports equipment, and cinema tickets.
- Pension: you’ll be covered for later life with our pension plan.
Our hiring process
- If you are interested, please apply and our Talent Partner will get back to you to give you a full overview of our story here at Bricklane.
- Following this, we'll ask you to complete a simple takehome exercise followed by a chat with our team to discuss the exercise and the role in more detail.
- The final stage is a pairing exercise with one of the team here at Bricklane, where you both work collaboratively to resolve a hypothetical challenge.
No recruiters, thanks — we’re happy with our current recruitment partners.